TAX CREDIT SCHOLARSHIP
Information & Assistance
We are so excited to announce that the Tax Credit Scholarship is finally ready to reopen. With this great news comes a new process that will streamline things and make it easier for families to access the scholarship.
There is a new two step process where families will register for a place in line, and later will receive a link to finish their application and claim their scholarship. Please note that this is still a first come first serve process so be sure to login in promptly.
Please know that the Holy Angels staff is here to support you through this process. Please stay in contact with Holy Angels for details as they become available. Like us on Facebook and join our email list (email signup form below) to stay in the loop.
When the application is open again be prepared to apply as soon as it opens. On the 31st more than 24,000 applications came into the system in the first few minutes. Let's be sure Holy Angels families are first in line.
The New Process:
- Go to EmpowerIllinois.org beginning Tuesday, February 27 at 7:00 pm to begin your application.
- Complete the form with your name and contact information to timestamp your application.
- Also submit your home address, the names of your children, their dates of birth, and your preferred school. (Please note, that only one reservation and application is allowed per family - even if you are applying for several students.)
- Take note of your confirmation code after completing your reservation.
- Wait to receive an email link to your unique application where you will complete it and upload all required documents. Emails will be sent on a rolling basis and may take several weeks.
- You will have 3 days to complete your application once your link has been sent. Complete it at a time convenient for you and be sure all documents are provided.
- Valid Email Address (needed to apply at www.empowerillinois.org
- Proof of Illinois residency, such as ONE of the following for the residential parent/custodian:
- Illinois driver’s license
- Illinois identification card (issued by the Secretary of State)
- Utility bill in the custodian’s name
- Statement of benefits from WIC
- Statement of benefits from SNAP
- Residential lease in the parent/custodian’s name
- Documentation of the student’s age (applicable to students entering kindergarten and first grade only), such as ONE of the following:
- A copy of the student’s birth certificate
- Federal or State ID
- A passport
- The following document is optional at the time of application, but will be required prior to the student receiving scholarship dollars:
- Enrollment or acceptance letter from the private school the student will attend
- The letter needs to:
- Be on school letterhead
- State the student’s name
- Acknowledge the student will attend the school for the 2018-2019 school year
- Adjusted Gross Income*, such as ONE of the following, as indicated at the end of the application:
- Federal Tax Return, pages 1 & 2 (2016 or 2017)
- W-2 (2016 or 2017)
- 1099/s (2016 or 2017)
- Year-end pay stub (2016 or 2017)
- Letter, on letterhead, from employer/s indicating cash wages paid (2016 or 2017)
*The application will ask if you receive WIC or SNAP benefits. If you do, and your federal tax return is not available to you, you may submit your statement of WIC or SNAP benefits.